brokensword
me
Reactions:

Re: MFBA

Post by brokensword »

Gemma wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 1:56 pm
brokensword wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:37 pm
Gemma wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 5:44 pm

I know right? I'm always worried my fish don't have enough room and then I'm sad to part with some to give the rest more space.... I need my own support group Image
hmm, maybe you need a dose of support in THE OTHER DIRECTION!! So let's say my average size for all my fish is 8", and since I figure I have 150ish or so, that would be divided into 7000 gallons, give me a sec, counting on my fingers cause the CAstle elites didn't budget anything for a calculator...that equals 46.7 gallons per fish. Gemma; now YOU do YOUR math and tell me what you get. IF all your fish are a lot larger than 8" (which I suppose they are), just calculate how many '8" you have (as in; one 12" fish = 1.5 fish) and yeah, I KNOW the larger they get, they're actually worth more than a lineal amount, but we're only doing this for fun, not rigid accuracy! Tell me if YOUR number is anywhere near MY number. I'm betting YOURS is a lot higher, so...that means you can STOP stressing about the fish numbers and maybe (gasp!) even stop giving away koi!!

Okay, you now got homework, missy; see to it!!!

:o ;) :shock: :thumbsup: :-P :cool: :beaming:
Image but of course you go and pick the one thing I'm worst at: math Image
Lets see my pond is at least 6,500gl and I have a tot of 25 fish in it...
10 of them are last year fry between 4-6"
5 including the shubbie are averaging 14"
4 are between 15-20"
6 are at least 2'
Now I'm stuck, I hate math I just can't do your figuring even roughly!Image
I read an article from expert Japanese breeders, they recommended 500gl x adult fish so That's what started my thinking that I can only have 10 to 12 fish in my pond, but every time I bring the number down, something happens to make it go up again.....adding koi from the other pond I closed, having to rescue some huge ones cause no one had room to take them in, having a load of 10 fry etc.
heh, makin' me smile, Gemma! Okay, just to have fun with this...10x5=50 div by 8, gives 6ish. Then 5x14=70, which gives approx 9. 4x17=68, giving about 8.5, last we have 6x24=144, this gives us 18. Total = approx 43. We then take your 6500 gallons, divide by 43 and get...151 gallons per 8" equivalent fish in your pond. So, I'm at 46 now which means you got me beat almost 4 to 1. And yeah, I know, your 2' ers definitely skew the balance but you can see, IF my 42 koi get in the range of YOUR fish, my number will get even smaller. Told you, going to test this theory one way or the other!!! Muahhhhhhhhhhwwwwaaaaaa!

Well, I HOPE I can keep them all and as noted before, based on the growth I've got in 4 years with the first/original 3 koi, I doubt mine are going to reach much more than 24". I'll be afraid to do the math THEN! Keeping my fingers crossed, but yeah, you do seem to have your situation under control and you have more/larger fish than I remembered, so keep on doing whatever you're doing as you're having success! Just throw in a prayer for me that I stop looking at ebay auctions, hey?

:-P :cool: :roll:
screened 7k pond, bog filter, 40+gf, 41 koi
http://www.swordofshakespeare.com/Sword ... rtal2.html
Gemma
Reactions:

Re: MFBA

Post by Gemma »

brokensword wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:03 pm
Gemma wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 1:56 pm
brokensword wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:37 pm

hmm, maybe you need a dose of support in THE OTHER DIRECTION!! So let's say my average size for all my fish is 8", and since I figure I have 150ish or so, that would be divided into 7000 gallons, give me a sec, counting on my fingers cause the CAstle elites didn't budget anything for a calculator...that equals 46.7 gallons per fish. Gemma; now YOU do YOUR math and tell me what you get. IF all your fish are a lot larger than 8" (which I suppose they are), just calculate how many '8" you have (as in; one 12" fish = 1.5 fish) and yeah, I KNOW the larger they get, they're actually worth more than a lineal amount, but we're only doing this for fun, not rigid accuracy! Tell me if YOUR number is anywhere near MY number. I'm betting YOURS is a lot higher, so...that means you can STOP stressing about the fish numbers and maybe (gasp!) even stop giving away koi!!

Okay, you now got homework, missy; see to it!!!

:o ;) :shock: :thumbsup: :-P :cool: :beaming:
Image but of course you go and pick the one thing I'm worst at: math Image
Lets see my pond is at least 6,500gl and I have a tot of 25 fish in it...
10 of them are last year fry between 4-6"
5 including the shubbie are averaging 14"
4 are between 15-20"
6 are at least 2'
Now I'm stuck, I hate math I just can't do your figuring even roughly!Image
I read an article from expert Japanese breeders, they recommended 500gl x adult fish so That's what started my thinking that I can only have 10 to 12 fish in my pond, but every time I bring the number down, something happens to make it go up again.....adding koi from the other pond I closed, having to rescue some huge ones cause no one had room to take them in, having a load of 10 fry etc.
heh, makin' me smile, Gemma! Okay, just to have fun with this...10x5=50 div by 8, gives 6ish. Then 5x14=70, which gives approx 9. 4x17=68, giving about 8.5, last we have 6x24=144, this gives us 18. Total = approx 43. We then take your 6500 gallons, divide by 43 and get...151 gallons per 8" equivalent fish in your pond. So, I'm at 46 now which means you got me beat almost 4 to 1. And yeah, I know, your 2' ers definitely skew the balance but you can see, IF my 42 koi get in the range of YOUR fish, my number will get even smaller. Told you, going to test this theory one way or the other!!! Muahhhhhhhhhhwwwwaaaaaa!

Well, I HOPE I can keep them all and as noted before, based on the growth I've got in 4 years with the first/original 3 koi, I doubt mine are going to reach much more than 24". I'll be afraid to do the math THEN! Keeping my fingers crossed, but yeah, you do seem to have your situation under control and you have more/larger fish than I remembered, so keep on doing whatever you're doing as you're having success! Just throw in a prayer for me that I stop looking at ebay auctions, hey?

:-P :cool: :roll:
All those number formulas, might as well write in Vietnamese Image
Your pond is set up so naturally I think your fish are lucky and happier than mine
6,500gl Hybrid koi Pond
https://www.swordofshakespeare.com/viewtopic.php?t=104&start=48