Yellow Bellied Slider

a place to talk amongst yourselves, get to know each other better
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Re: Yellow Bellied Slider

Post by brokensword »

j.w wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 4:26 pm
rubyduby wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 2:00 pm Well, he's/she's still here! I just love this turtle so much. Finally coming up and looking at me when I feed the fish so I am able to throw food in his "feeding ring" and he gobbles it up...No fence though...If you saw my pond surroundings you would agree that aesthetically it would ruin the ambiance...When I look out my windows I want to see into the pond and that would definitely block my view:( So I guess I will just have to keep feeding him his favorites and hope that that will be enough to stop him from leaving...If it happens I will rescue another..
Glad you are able to enjoy the little one. Too bad you don't know it's sex, then you could run out and rescue the opposite and maybe they would both stick around? I know there's a way to check under there bellies and tail length etc. So if you end up getting more check into that if you like :beaming:

Check this out: https://turtleowner.com/is-my-yellow-bellied-slider-male-or-female-guide-with-pictures/
I believe sliders are like painteds in that females have shorter front leg claws, a rounder bottom carapace, and a shorter tail. When small, harder to confirm. Post up a current pic @rubyduby and let me play with some fencing options on photoshop to give you visuals for real consideration.

And, no guarantee even with both sexes they'll stay. I'd say they won't, actually. And Ruby, watch to make sure the turtle isn't going after your fish; I tried one I found wandering and 1 rescue, and BOTH went after my fish. Now, both were also mature and I like to start off with smaller turtles to give the fish a better chance as well as get them used to cohabitation.

:cool:
screened 7k pond, bog filter, 40+gf, 41 koi
http://www.swordofshakespeare.com/Sword ... rtal2.html
rubyduby
Reactions:

Post by rubyduby »

rubyduby wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 2:00 pm Well, he's/she's still here! I just love this turtle so much. Finally coming up and looking at me when I feed the fish so I am able to throw food in his "feeding ring" and he gobbles it up...No fence though...If you saw my pond surroundings you would agree that aesthetically it would ruin the ambiance...When I look out my windows I want to see into the pond and that would definitely block my view:( So I guess I will just have to keep feeding him his favorites and hope that that will be enough to stop him from leaving...If it happens I will rescue another..
Glad you are able to enjoy the little one. Too bad you don't know it's sex, then you could run out and rescue the opposite and maybe they would both stick around? I know there's a way to check under there bellies and tail length etc. So if you end up getting more check into that if you like :beaming:

Check this out: https://turtleowner.com/is-my-yellow-bellied-slider-male-or-female-guide-with-pictures/
thank you j.w.! I will look into this:)
900 gallons, 30" deep, BioFalls and skimmer, 25 Shubunkin Goldfish
rubyduby
Reactions:

Post by rubyduby »

brokensword wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 5:49 pm

I believe sliders are like painteds in that females have shorter front leg claws, a rounder bottom carapace, and a shorter tail. When small, harder to confirm. Post up a current pic @rubyduby and let me play with some fencing options on photoshop to give you visuals for real consideration.

And, no guarantee even with both sexes they'll stay. I'd say they won't, actually. And Ruby, watch to make sure the turtle isn't going after your fish; I tried one I found wandering and 1 rescue, and BOTH went after my fish. Now, both were also mature and I like to start off with smaller turtles to give the fish a better chance as well as get them used to cohabitation.

Great advice Brokensword, thank you...I will try and post a pic if he stays...We are supposed to get a direct hit from Ian tomorrow and I am afraid that my fish and my turtle will be washed out of the pond...Sarasota always avoided being hit in the past so everyone thought that it wasn't going to happen...Ugh! I probably won't have service of any kind for quite awhile...SarahT is in Tampa and latest reports show that she might be spared. I hope so!
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

rubyduby wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:13 pm
brokensword wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 5:49 pm

Great advice Brokensword, thank you...I will try and post a pic if he stays...We are supposed to get a direct hit from Ian tomorrow and I am afraid that my fish and my turtle will be washed out of the pond...Sarasota always avoided being hit in the past so everyone thought that it wasn't going to happen...Ugh! I probably won't have service of any kind for quite awhile...SarahT is in Tampa and latest reports show that she might be spared. I hope so!
I hope you're BOTH spared, Ruby! Wouldn't wanna hafta send lil queenie out in the dinghy to try and findcha! (she don't row too good, you know? Best if you just wave at lil hurricane Ian and let it pass you by, okay??)

:roll: :o :cool:
j.w
Reactions:

Post by j.w »

@rubyduby take care and be safe both you and @SarahT
I'd ride in a boat to save you and Kingy Boy can do all the rowing while I root him on!
canoe21.gif
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

j.w wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:02 pm @rubyduby take care and be safe both you and @SarahT
I'd ride in a boat to save you and Kingy Boy can do all the rowing while I root him on!

canoe21.gif
I don't hafta do any rowing atall, yer majersticky; we gots ridin' koi, don'tcha know!!

:grin: :razz: :hysterical: :beaming:
SarahT
Reactions:

Post by SarahT »

j.w wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:02 pm @rubyduby take care and be safe both you and @SarahT

canoe21.gif
Thanks for your kind thoughts and offers of rowing. Hurricane Ian was a nail biter of a storm, but the worst went south of us at the last minute (though we still have gale force winds today). My fish are fine and the Big Live Oak Tree out front is proudly standing tall, branches intact.
@rubyduby is closer to the eye than I, so let's hope we hear good news.
Even further south, the damage is bad. A friend of mine is in his second floor condo, not in an evacuation zone, but surrounded by water (I think it's receding), and no power.
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

SarahT wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:02 pm

canoe21.gif
Thanks for your kind thoughts and offers of rowing. Hurricane Ian was a nail biter of a storm, but the worst went south of us at the last minute (though we still have gale force winds today). My fish are fine and the Big Live Oak Tree out front is proudly standing tall, branches intact.
@rubyduby is closer to the eye than I, so let's hope we hear good news.
Even further south, the damage is bad. A friend of mine is in his second floor condo, not in an evacuation zone, but surrounded by water (I think it's receding), and no power.
Glad you're safe and hope Ruby is too! Don't know how you Floridians do it; we have tornadoes but not that often!

:D
SarahT
Reactions:

Post by SarahT »

Thanks for the good wishes. Ruby and I are both new down here. Not speaking for her, but I sure don't know how I do it! I was in Chicago until 2 years ago, so am familiar with the tornadoes, and blizzards, and such. My brother has been here longer, and was here for H-Irma 5 years ago. How will we do it in the future? Who knows!
Some (not all) people who have been here longer have an unfortunate tendency to say "oh, hurricanes don't come here, they fizzle out." Others say they went through this one or that one and it "wasn't that bad". I guarantee you, that won't be the future attitude from people who went through Ian down in Lee County.
There's going to be a lot of rebuilding and rethinking going on.
Thanks again! (Sorry to co-opt the Yellow bellied slider thread!)
j.w
Reactions:

Post by j.w »

@SarahT Looks like you even have power and all your plants,fish, home and people made it safely through this. So hoping and praying that @rubyduby made it safely through this. I am thinking she has no power tho as no word from her here. No thank you to any tornadoes or hurricane places to live for me. We don't get those kinds of things here unless it is a fluke, like someone's shed blows up or something.
Hope she comes back soon and we can talk turtle's again!
rubyduby
Reactions:

Post by rubyduby »

Hi guys! That was some storm! No power for nine days and we JUST got our cable back this evening...Couldn't even get anything on my phone..At least we only had a few shingles blow off of the roof, a LOT of tree and plant damage but the most important thing is that my fish and my turtle are okay..I hooked up my solar aerator (thanks to SarahT's suggestion) and it worked fine except it fizzled out every night after the sun went down...I put my bioballs in the pond next to the aerator hoping to keep the bb alive and I think it worked because my water is crystal clear (now after clearing out a foot of debris with pond pliers (brutal) Thanks for your concern...
j.w
Reactions:

Post by j.w »

Yep @rubyduby the whole world was tuned in watching to see what that storm was doing to you guys! Glad you made it through and all is good now. A foot of debris is a ton and lots of work to get it out for you. Sounds like the pond is all doing fine now too. No more storms for you, hopefully! We could use a few raindrops here tho, have had nothing for ages and don't see any in the near future which is unheard of here.