Pond Reconstruction Project (+ Bog)

brokensword
me
Reactions:

Re: Pond Reconstruction Project (+ Bog)

Post by brokensword »

Duxwig wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 6:28 pm
string algae is gonna grow where there's no competition -- ON THE FALLS area. Just goes with the territory. You can turn everything off, spray some hydrogen peroxide on those rocks, wait 30 minutes, then hose the dead stuff off. It will retard the next batch but probably not stop it. Most use a toilet brush when this is IN the pond and/or manual plucking it off.

And yeah; rearranging and restructuring tends to just be part of the hobby! They say ponds are never done and now you know why!
screened 7k pond, bog filter, 40+gf, 41 koi
http://www.swordofshakespeare.com/Sword ... rtal2.html
Duxwig
Reactions:

Post by Duxwig »

Thankfully no algae in the bog or really in the falls. It’s all in the pond itself. Attached to the rocks underwater. I can get parts with pond vac but it’s all connected to a tiny central point which is well adhered.
Duxwig
Reactions:

Post by Duxwig »

Water on and liking how it’s running a lot more!
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

Duxwig wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 10:43 pm Thankfully no algae in the bog or really in the falls. It’s all in the pond itself. Attached to the rocks underwater. I can get parts with pond vac but it’s all connected to a tiny central point which is well adhered.
you actually WANT all UW surface algae; it helps keep the pond in equilibrium. Tis not a pool, tis a pond, ya know!
screened 7k pond, bog filter, 40+gf, 41 koi
http://www.swordofshakespeare.com/Sword ... rtal2.html
Duxwig
Reactions:

Post by Duxwig »

Yes - apparently tinkering never ends.

Was just going to fix some liner sides, changed mind. Know those concrete blocks under to make trough? Decided that maybe affects flow of nutrients and roots access to them. Going to take the rocks off the sides, lower water level mostly, pull liner up, pull the concrete out, fold it flat again.

Rocks will be closer to side, gives more water flow room, less shallow water for algae growth, and can plant stuff directly and with a good pea gravel substrate.
Pulled some rocks and the trough has low/moderate waste in it. Best I think to just nix.
Duxwig
Reactions:

Post by Duxwig »

Removed rocks in prep. Can see the division of pebbles with the trough area, height of basic paver block.
Going to move the big rocks back to the side and work on smaller rocks for coverage of liner now that I know what the plant foliage looks like in full.
This gives more space for the water to flow and wider shelves.

The half dead garden iris may get replaced. The rocks were too big, didn’t do well in area.
Thinking since I need to rearrange the rocks anyway that I’d create a shallow small rock shelf and instead plant lots of starter iris plants so it could grow better vs stuck in place and growing sideways.

With flow, have a pvc line coming up the middle, laying under/behind the rocks, curving back down along the log and exiting under water. Creates some water flow. Not sure good or bad.
Thought about taking the log out as algae builds around it. Figured rotting organize material will only last so long. (Considered making my own if concrete given no fish buttttttt).
Not sure if I pull the hose up or create some other water feature / oxygenator.

Also back liner is flat with soil which allows runoff in the back from the garden.