koi pox update?

j.w
Reactions:

Re: koi pox update?

Post by j.w »

brokensword wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:38 pm
cas wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:10 am Years ago I had a goldfish with bumps all over its body that I assume was pox. No other fish got the bumps. The fish always made it through the winter. Unfortunately, the heron got it one year. But, fortunately, that was the only fish the heron got.
those bumps are more likely tumors; before I expanded, some of my gf got them too (still have them). I don't believe gf get koi pox. It seems the tumors can be lived with also, though, when I tend to lose a gf over winter, it's the ones with tumors. It's a sure sign the water conditions went over the equilibrium line at least once! It was one of my lessons and along with losing one of my first koi (over winter), pushed me into the expansion. Since I only bought koi from two ebay vendors, one being 95% of my stock, I'm pretty sure where it came from. Thing is, none of the fish exhibited this until after they'd been in the pond half a year. I'm assuming water conditions triggered it. Obviously with a closed system, it's not like it got in the pond externally. I've accepted that all the koi will eventually get it but hope most of the summer, the water is warm enough and the fish strong enough to not affect their lives fatally. We'll see. I'm on a koi moratorium for the moment until I see exactly how this goes. Not every koi has it, I'd say maybe 8 right now. The one I took inside to confirm (with warmer water) died a week or so after I re-introduced it to the pond, but that might have been from me taking it in then putting it back out as the pox did indeed go away with 70F temps.

I'm glad you only lost the one, though! At least that's one aspect of losing fish I don't have to worry about! Just the things I do, apparently! Nice to see you again, cas!
It seems there is controversy over whether goldfish can get it. I read online that goldfish may carry it but not show signs of it. I have some goldfish that have bumps on them and they live forever like that but the bumps continue to grow and spread. https://www.thesprucepets.com/how-to-treat-carp-pox-in-koi-5207806
Wow this place says even people can get it. Not sure about that!
https://goldkoifish.com/what-does-fish-pox-look-like/
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

j.w wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:16 pm
cas wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:10 am Years ago I had a goldfish with bumps all over its body that I assume was pox. No other fish got the bumps. The fish always made it through the winter. Unfortunately, the heron got it one year. But, fortunately, that was the only fish the heron got.
those bumps are more likely tumors; before I expanded, some of my gf got them too (still have them). I don't believe gf get koi pox. It seems the tumors can be lived with also, though, when I tend to lose a gf over winter, it's the ones with tumors. It's a sure sign the water conditions went over the equilibrium line at least once! It was one of my lessons and along with losing one of my first koi (over winter), pushed me into the expansion. Since I only bought koi from two ebay vendors, one being 95% of my stock, I'm pretty sure where it came from. Thing is, none of the fish exhibited this until after they'd been in the pond half a year. I'm assuming water conditions triggered it. Obviously with a closed system, it's not like it got in the pond externally. I've accepted that all the koi will eventually get it but hope most of the summer, the water is warm enough and the fish strong enough to not affect their lives fatally. We'll see. I'm on a koi moratorium for the moment until I see exactly how this goes. Not every koi has it, I'd say maybe 8 right now. The one I took inside to confirm (with warmer water) died a week or so after I re-introduced it to the pond, but that might have been from me taking it in then putting it back out as the pox did indeed go away with 70F temps.

I'm glad you only lost the one, though! At least that's one aspect of losing fish I don't have to worry about! Just the things I do, apparently! Nice to see you again, cas!
It seems there is controversy over whether goldfish can get it. I read online that goldfish may carry it but not show signs of it. I have some goldfish that have bumps on them and they live forever like that but the bumps continue to grow and spread. https://www.thesprucepets.com/how-to-treat-carp-pox-in-koi-5207806
hmm, went and read your link and not at all sure I'm a believer. From my research, there's 3 types of 'koi pox', two of which are fatal, the other, much much more common, is not. And I don't ever remember reading it's contagious to humans. Seems there's a lot of back and forth in that article, from fish symptoms to human and I had a hard time figuring out which they were referring to at any one moment. So, I'd need more/further references and some tests before I lean the article's way. Koi pox isn't lumps as what goldfish get--those are tumors--but rather, white, waxy lumps on skin and fins. Looks a lot like large 'ich' but less lesions. I do have a couple with 'sores' which I felt were wounds? but unsure. Am going to pay more attention to the UW cam to see if the fish or turtles are overly aggressive or what. Didn't have any of this (the gf did have the tumors, thought) before last summer. So, one of the fish I got, probably from last summer, brought it in with them and now, has infected a few fish with the koi pox. I wondered how it would react during the winter (cold water) and so far, exactly as they were last summer. No real change. Should see a cessation come mid summer when the pond water temp gets over 70F.
screened 7k pond, bog filter, 40+gf, 41 koi
http://www.swordofshakespeare.com/Sword ... rtal2.html
j.w
Reactions:

Post by j.w »

brokensword wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:29 pm
j.w wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:16 pm

hmm, went and read your link and not at all sure I'm a believer. From my research, there's 3 types of 'koi pox', two of which are fatal, the other, much much more common, is not. And I don't ever remember reading it's contagious to humans. Seems there's a lot of back and forth in that article, from fish symptoms to human and I had a hard time figuring out which they were referring to at any one moment. So, I'd need more/further references and some tests before I lean the article's way. Koi pox isn't lumps as what goldfish get--those are tumors--but rather, white, waxy lumps on skin and fins. Looks a lot like large 'ich' but less lesions. I do have a couple with 'sores' which I felt were wounds? but unsure. Am going to pay more attention to the UW cam to see if the fish or turtles are overly aggressive or what. Didn't have any of this (the gf did have the tumors, thought) before last summer. So, one of the fish I got, probably from last summer, brought it in with them and now, has infected a few fish with the koi pox. I wondered how it would react during the winter (cold water) and so far, exactly as they were last summer. No real change. Should see a cessation come mid summer when the pond water temp gets over 70F.
I have no clue on all this koi pox stuff, just posting some ideas on what others are thinking. Hope you can figure this out and stop or control it somehow. Not sure how you will do that as we know so little about it all. Maybe it will not really be too much of an issue for you in the long run. Hope it subsides on it's own if that is possible. I'm leaning towards one of the koi that you bought brought it to your pond. No way to know for sure tho.