brokensword
me
Reactions:

Re: Watcha doing today?

Post by brokensword »

j.w wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 7:35 pm
brokensword wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 3:23 am
j.w wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 2:33 am

Think we will be ok tonight. They did mention snow possible in a day or so...........huh, that's nuts! I doubt that will happen!
Sheesh; they're not even calling for snow HERE let alone the PNW should get it...sure has been a topsy turvy weather season! Apparently, the other day, we almost reached a record High for the day, missed it by 2F. I think the day topped out at 76F, so you know that's warm for this time of year, this part of the Kingdom! Hey! Don't go putting any 'oil the snow shovel' on MY to-do list tonight!! Get that mopper squire, one @Gemma gal to prep the winter resources fer ya ifn ya REALLY thinks the white stuff is gonna fall on yer precious Annex!!

heh heh

:roll: :roll: :beaming: :!:
Oh sheesh, we did get some snow this early morning but it was really big flakes and only lasted for a short while. Did put a coating of white on our nearby mountain that we can see out our back door but that's almost all melted now too. So get your shovel oiled up Kingy Boy! Looks like we could be in for a real chiller this year on the Royal grounds :queen:

aww, that jus' ain't right; snow? Already? Though, I DO remember getting 11" of wet snow a couple years back during the first week of November...took the screen top down on the pondhouse, necessitating sourcing a whole new top screen, as opposed to me fixing (sewing) it all back together.

Noppa, you gots ta hound the mopper now for that job. Not on my job description anymore...

heh heh

oh, @Gemma !!!!!!! The royal wrath be a comin', methinks!

;) :shock: :razz: :roll: ;)
screened 7k pond, bog filter, 40+gf, 41 koi
http://www.swordofshakespeare.com/Sword ... rtal2.html
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

not as warm as they said, but leaves were dry, so got in a good amount; 6 done and 13 to go. One smaller and the rest larger, but looking good to get done this week, which is the plan; gonna be in the 40s/upper 20s the following week, so...

j.w
Reactions:

Post by j.w »

brokensword wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 3:04 am not as warm as they said, but leaves were dry, so got in a good amount; 6 done and 13 to go. One smaller and the rest larger, but looking good to get done this week, which is the plan; gonna be in the 40s/upper 20s the following week, so...

So so cold here now but days ahead are clear and sunny w/lows in the 20's and 30's. I've been outside each day w/a pair of scissors cutting the grass that has grown around all the edges of my flower beds. Only place the grass grew due to only watering garden beds. I know,silly doing it w/scissors but hey it works as all my battery edgers dies and they never held a charge long enough to finish anything! We have not mowed the lawn in forever and leaves are everywhere. Grass is still brown and trying to turn green. I'm not sure we will be able to mow even the leaves due to the cold hitting us so fast!
Hope you get all your jobs done Kingy boy so you can start on all the work on the royal grounds you have been slacking on and stop trying to toss all your burdens on poor @gemma :razz:
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

j.w wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 7:07 pm
brokensword wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 3:04 am not as warm as they said, but leaves were dry, so got in a good amount; 6 done and 13 to go. One smaller and the rest larger, but looking good to get done this week, which is the plan; gonna be in the 40s/upper 20s the following week, so...

So so cold here now but days ahead are clear and sunny w/lows in the 20's and 30's. I've been outside each day w/a pair of scissors cutting the grass that has grown around all the edges of my flower beds. Only place the grass grew due to only watering garden beds. I know,silly doing it w/scissors but hey it works as all my battery edgers dies and they never held a charge long enough to finish anything! We have not mowed the lawn in forever and leaves are everywhere. Grass is still brown and trying to turn green. I'm not sure we will be able to mow even the leaves due to the cold hitting us so fast!
Hope you get all your jobs done Kingy boy so you can start on all the work on the royal grounds you have been slacking on and stop trying to toss all your burdens on poor @gemma :razz:
"poor Gemma"; that's a HOOT And you say I'M slackin'!!!!

Hard to believe temps are so much better here than there--ya might need to think about movin' yer Annex east, ya know? Gonna be low 60s tomorrow and almost 70 on Thursday...jus' sayin'!!

Have you thought about gas edgers/trimmers? They tend to last until the job is complete, ya know?? That's how I cut down my gardens--with my grass whip. Soooo much faster and since I have so much 'real estate' here on the peon campground, it comes in handy! I hope to get to my own end of this week, as today was great (dry leaves are sooooo much easier to mulch!!) and did 8, so only 5 left, though there's a bit of drive time with one of them. Looking good, though, much earlier finish than most years for me. Gonna be a good Thanksgiving time THIS year!

And why can't you mulch the leaves if the ground is dry/brown? It won't hurt the grass, ya know (trust me; I've been told I'm an expert now at leaves!!). I'd surely do it before you get any precipitation (like I said; dry = good times, wet = roh roh).

And there ain't nuttin wrong with the Annex grounds that I can see; you bin poachin' from the alkiehole cabinet agin??? I betcha have...

:sillybearshock: ;) :cool: :!:
j.w
Reactions:

Post by j.w »

brokensword wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 11:36 pm
j.w wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 7:07 pm

"poor Gemma"; that's a HOOT And you say I'M slackin'!!!!

Hard to believe temps are so much better here than there--ya might need to think about movin' yer Annex east, ya know? Gonna be low 60s tomorrow and almost 70 on Thursday...jus' sayin'!!

Have you thought about gas edgers/trimmers? They tend to last until the job is complete, ya know?? That's how I cut down my gardens--with my grass whip. Soooo much faster and since I have so much 'real estate' here on the peon campground, it comes in handy! I hope to get to my own end of this week, as today was great (dry leaves are sooooo much easier to mulch!!) and did 8, so only 5 left, though there's a bit of drive time with one of them. Looking good, though, much earlier finish than most years for me. Gonna be a good Thanksgiving time THIS year!

And why can't you mulch the leaves if the ground is dry/brown? It won't hurt the grass, ya know (trust me; I've been told I'm an expert now at leaves!!). I'd surely do it before you get any precipitation (like I said; dry = good times, wet = roh roh).

And there ain't nuttin wrong with the Annex grounds that I can see; you bin poachin' from the alkiehole cabinet agin??? I betcha have...

:sillybearshock: ;) :cool: :!:
It's below 30 here right now and going to stay this way for a week or more! Might make it up to the 30's but EVERYTHING IS FROZEN RIGHT NOW INCLUDING ME! Good thing we have a wood stove and tons of free wood all packed into all our sheds.

I need to use the scissors cuz I need to sit down there and dig out inside the pvc edging inside the gardens while trimming the grass right around the edge. Not worried about hurting the grass by mowing the leaves. We will get to the leaves after they have all fallen off all the trees. Got a ways to go on that. I found a few frogs hunkered down while doing that digging out and trimming. Didn't hurt any but had to move them to a good spot for better coverage as they were pretty slow moving. I'm making good progress on all the cutting and digging out so I'll just do some each day unless the ground is too frozen inside that edge for digging out stuff.

If I were to go to the tipsy cabinets I would be sure to find them empty cuz a certain Kingy boy and his clan beat me to it. As it is I would never darken it's door.................I always head for the Godiva cabs and......................................................................................................... YOU SHOULD FOR SURE KNOW THAT BY NOW :roll:
falling leaves.gif
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

j.w wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 6:41 pm

If I were to go to the tipsy cabinets I would be sure to find them empty cuz a certain Kingy boy and his clan beat me to it. As it is I would never darken it's door.................I always head for the Godiva cabs and......................................................................................................... YOU SHOULD FOR SURE KNOW THAT BY NOW :roll:

falling leaves.gif
wellllll, didn't know chocolate could make you 'tipsy', but...okay, we'll go with THAT story! :cheesyGrin:

Good on you for keeping the frog alert on DEFCON 1!! Nice to see the critters looked after, don'tcha know!

Ah, BELOW 30F??? Didcha move the annex into Kahnada or something??? Sheesh. I'll send you an umbrella drink while I find SOMETHING to do tomorrow, when it hits ALMOST 70!!

Okay, yer Scissor-Royalness; hope you get all that grass edged before it snows!

:beaming: :cool: :roll:
SarahT
Reactions:

Post by SarahT »

brokensword wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 10:29 pm
rubyduby wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 2:15 pm
Is this true? A geologist? How awesome...Would love to hear more if this is true:)
I second this idea, @SarahT ; got any geo-stories to tell us???

:grin:
True? Well, yeah, it is true. I have a B.Science in Geology. I worked in that field for a couple of years, for a state Dept of Natural Resources, on a team studying changing land use and potential affect on floods. I spent a lot of time learning (and worrying) about floods becoming more serious as a result of the change in land use from agricultural to urban, as permeable fields become impermeable buildings, driveways, streets, parking lots, and so on. In one river in a large suburban area, the average water level (height) increased a foot in 20 years, and since that state was pretty flat, there were "a lot" of houses that then were reclassified as "on a flood plain and are now required by mortgage lenders to have flood insurance." Within a couple of years, that river flooded quite a few of those houses which had never flooded before (no people were hurt).
Buuut, as the study wound down, there was a contraction of available jobs for Bach's of Geology and the rest is history: I got a job doing something else (financial services). I still love rocks, geology, and all that stuff!
rubyduby
Reactions:

Post by rubyduby »

SarahT wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 10:45 pm
rubyduby wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 2:15 pm
Is this true? A geologist? How awesome...Would love to hear more if this is true:)

True? Well, yeah, it is true. I have a B.Science in Geology. I worked in that field for a couple of years, for a state Dept of Natural Resources, on a team studying changing land use and potential affect on floods. I spent a lot of time learning (and worrying) about floods becoming more serious as a result of the change in land use from agricultural to urban, as permeable fields become impermeable buildings, driveways, streets, parking lots, and so on. In one river in a large suburban area, the average water level (height) increased a foot in 20 years, and since that state was pretty flat, there were "a lot" of houses that then were reclassified as "on a flood plain and are now required by mortgage lenders to have flood insurance." Within a couple of years, that river flooded quite a few of those houses which had never flooded before (no people were hurt).
Buuut, as the study wound down, there was a contraction of available jobs for Bach's of Geology and the rest is history: I got a job doing something else (financial services). I still love rocks, geology, and all that stuff!
Geology is so interesting...I was bit by the bug when I moved to the Adirondacks back in '81....Thanks for filling us in..I have not come across many Geologists in my lifetime:) Too bad that there are not many jobs in that field...
900 gallons, 30" deep, BioFalls and skimmer, 25 Shubunkin Goldfish
SarahT
Reactions:

Post by SarahT »

rubyduby wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 4:26 pm
SarahT wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 10:45 pm

Geology is so interesting...I was bit by the bug when I moved to the Adirondacks back in '81....Thanks for filling us in..I have not come across many Geologists in my lifetime:) Too bad that there are not many jobs in that field...
Oh, after a few years, the job market opened up again, but mostly for Masters and PhD level, and I was cruising along in my career. I met a few former geologists, an ornithologist and other 'ologists along the way. I'm sure the Adirondacks got you looking at rocks - gorgeous country.
j.w
Reactions:

Post by j.w »

@brokensword Been waiting for your story to continue. Did you run out of words?
Nah that ain't possible for you 8-)
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

j.w wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 6:50 pm @brokensword Been waiting for your story to continue. Did you run out of words?
Harumph! Been checking EVERY day and waiting for royalness to alert me to the fact words HAVE been read!!! Sheesh. I don't seem to get notifications from that forum like the others (I have no idea why, so better tag me in the comment section like you have here, THEN I know you've at least sauntered by. Sorry for missing TODAY'S post! Sheesh again! I'm tellin' ya...

Chaps 18, 19, and 20 are posted! Hope you enjoy!

:inverted:
j.w
Reactions:

Post by j.w »

brokensword wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 2:51 am
j.w wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 6:50 pm @brokensword Been waiting for your story to continue. Did you run out of words?
Harumph! Been checking EVERY day and waiting for royalness to alert me to the fact words HAVE been read!!! Sheesh. I don't seem to get notifications from that forum like the others (I have no idea why, so better tag me in the comment section like you have here, THEN I know you've at least sauntered by. Sorry for missing TODAY'S post! Sheesh again! I'm tellin' ya...

Chaps 18, 19, and 20 are posted! Hope you enjoy!

:inverted:
Ok then I will just post here instead of in the actual book reading section. Been waiting forever sheesh 8-) Yes I am enjoying it and will get right on it as you have starved me for several days :queen: