What does your pond look like today?

j.w
Reactions:

Re: What does your pond look like today?

Post by j.w »

brokensword wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:55 pm
j.w wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:51 pm
brokensword wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 8:17 pm

I can show you another use for all that wood you like to chop, lil Queenie! Soooo, glad I put up a tent now, even if it IS a pita in the fall...
What you want me to do w/my precious fire wood? Not building a shelter for my pond tho.
think if it like stacking in a new way and cutting it a bit longer; build your self a teepee, add some plastic an voila! instant tent and no ice! I mean, you can ALWAYS burn it...sometime! heh heh
No thank you I have a tent in my closet that I never have used yet. I have a house, don't need a tent :grin:
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

@j.w sheesh, I meant for your POND!!!! Easy to just make a teepee out of longer longs, then wrap some plastic around, put some more wood on the edges and you're good! But I know you don't get ice long/thick enough to worry about; I'd prob not do it either if I lived in the Pacific North Wet! <<< that ain't no typo, neither!!
screened 7k pond, bog filter, 40+gf, 41 koi
http://www.swordofshakespeare.com/Sword ... rtal2.html
j.w
Reactions:

Post by j.w »

Ok then! Yep my pond needs no tent. Not cold enough, long enough here. My Banana plants could use a tee pee! This year they are mush all the way to the ground. They always come back from the roots tho, just not as tall when they die that far back. And then they bring babies w/them and sometimes too many!

I need some monkeys
monkeypeeks.gif
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

j.w wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 5:52 pm

I need some monkeys monkeypeeks.gif
what would you need your husband for then?

:idea: :idea: ;) :cool:
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

j.w wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 5:52 pm My Banana plants could use a tee pee! This year they are mush all the way to the ground. They always come back from the roots tho, just not as tall when they die that far back. And then they bring babies w/them and sometimes too many!
I would bet you'd probably get quicker growth after winter if you DID tent it and mulch the base nice and thick. That said, maybe too tall for the teepee? At least it comes back. I ALMOST put one on a corner, outside the pondhouse but didn't really want to deal with cutting it down, waiting most of the summer for it to look like it's supposed to look. I MAY still try one, just for the fun of it, but probably in a pot. I suppose I could cut it down, take it into the garage or even down the basement for overwinter. About 65F down there; wonder if it would begin growing back quicker? Not the strongest of light though and all the plants are snugged up under pretty close just to keep them going a little bit before spring comes back. Might be an interesting experiment, though. Right now, I got a 2' orange Japanese maple down there now which I'm hoping will sprout earlier than if I'd tried to put it in the ground while still dormant. Did this with ginkgo trees last winter and they did fine. Took a while, but they did sprout and begin growing before April.
j.w
Reactions:

Post by j.w »

brokensword wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 6:03 pm
j.w wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 5:52 pm My Banana plants could use a tee pee! This year they are mush all the way to the ground. They always come back from the roots tho, just not as tall when they die that far back. And then they bring babies w/them and sometimes too many!
I would bet you'd probably get quicker growth after winter if you DID tent it and mulch the base nice and thick. That said, maybe too tall for the teepee? At least it comes back. I ALMOST put one on a corner, outside the pondhouse but didn't really want to deal with cutting it down, waiting most of the summer for it to look like it's supposed to look. I MAY still try one, just for the fun of it, but probably in a pot. I suppose I could cut it down, take it into the garage or even down the basement for overwinter. About 65F down there; wonder if it would begin growing back quicker? Not the strongest of light though and all the plants are snugged up under pretty close just to keep them going a little bit before spring comes back. Might be an interesting experiment, though. Right now, I got a 2' orange Japanese maple down there now which I'm hoping will sprout earlier than if I'd tried to put it in the ground while still dormant. Did this with ginkgo trees last winter and they did fine. Took a while, but they did sprout and begin growing before April.
The roots on those Banana trees are really long and thick. Don't think a pot would be good. I have had to dig some up in the garden and man that was a heck of a job! Had to take a pick axe to them and then some still came back next year as if you leave any amount of root growth down there they aren't leaving!
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

j.w wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 6:15 pm

The roots on those Banana trees are really long and thick. Don't think a pot would be good. I have had to dig some up in the garden and man that was a heck of a job! Had to take a pick axe to them and then some still came back next year as if you leave any amount of root growth down there they aren't leaving!
ah, okay; nix that idea then; don't need that much more to do in the garden...nuh uh! :-l :cool:
j.w
Reactions:

Post by j.w »

I planted a bunch of those banana trees right in front of my computer window one year.

See that cute little one in a pot in front? Then look at all the mama plants behind it! EEE CHIHUAHUA they get so huge and roots go down to the core of the center of the earth!

Oh boy was that a mistake!

Took them all out and moved some over by my green house.

IMG_6835 (900x1200).jpg

IMG_9301 (1200x900).jpg
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

j.w wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:55 pm I planted a bunch of those banana trees right in front of my computer window one year.

See that cute little one in a pot in front? Then look at all the mama plants behind it! EEE CHIHUAHUA they get so huge and roots go down to the core of the center of the earth!

Yikes! How long did it take for them to grow that big? And no, I don't need deep rooted plants that I might have to move! No pot, no banana! Btw, still have your greenhouse? Haven't heard you mention anything about it!
SarahT
Reactions:

Post by SarahT »

We in Florida are told that there are dwarf banana plants, but I think dwarf means 8 feet, not 80,000 foot stratosphere heights. Let me know if you get or go bananas!
j.w
Reactions:

Post by j.w »

brokensword wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 2:52 am
j.w wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:55 pm I planted a bunch of those banana trees right in front of my computer window one year.

Yikes! How long did it take for them to grow that big? And no, I don't need deep rooted plants that I might have to move! No pot, no banana! Btw, still have your greenhouse? Haven't heard you mention anything about it!
Once the trees get established in a couple years then they start to go gung ho on the growth. If we have a mild winter then they don't freeze to the ground and a lot of the stalk stays green up to 10ft or more. The leaves always fall off but when Spring arrives the leaves start popping out and the trees can grow 12ft or more.

Yes I still have the greenhouse but I mainly just use it for tomatoes and do not even do that each year. We were going on trips in Summers and would be away so long that the toms would need watering and no one to do it and pick them. Why grow when you can't be there to eat them? So who knows the greenhouse may end up being a storage shed for kindling.
j.w
Reactions:

Post by j.w »

SarahT wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 2:32 pm We in Florida are told that there are dwarf banana plants, but I think dwarf means 8 feet, not 80,000 foot stratosphere heights. Let me know if you get or go bananas!
I do go banana's when the babies start coming up all over in the Spring! I mean one can only have so many as they get so large so I have to dig them out. The kind I have are called Musa Bajhoo and are hardy ones for our area.
We had a painter friend that painted our house one year when the trees were still out in front of my computer windows up close to the house. He was on a ladder platform thing and told us he felt like he was in the jungle and wondered when the monkeys would show up,lol!
You could not even see him in there when he was painting 8-)