Pineapple - no, not on pizza!

a place to talk amongst yourselves, get to know each other better
SarahT
Reactions:

Pineapple - no, not on pizza!

Post by SarahT »

I am very proud of my first pineapple, grown in the garden here. Delicious as dessert, not on, but after pizza. The pineapple is a bromeliad, it took 18 (or more) months to grow from a pineapple top, then another 6 months for the fruit to form.
Attachments
ripe pineapple first (2).JPG
ripe pineapple first (2).JPG (153.63 KiB) Viewed 560 times
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Re: Pineapple - no, not on pizza!

Post by brokensword »

SarahT wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 6:34 pm I am very proud of my first pineapple, grown in the garden here. Delicious as dessert, not on, but after pizza. The pineapple is a bromeliad, it took 18 (or more) months to grow from a pineapple top, then another 6 months for the fruit to form.
well, that's really neat! Always thought it might be an interesting experiment! Of course, your climate is much better suited for it; not sure I'd be able to keep it thriving in the winter, not here in Mi. Since you ate the original, did the successor taste just as good? Annnnnd, are you going to keep the cycle going???

:-P
screened 7k pond, bog filter, 40+gf, 41 koi
http://www.swordofshakespeare.com/Sword ... rtal2.html
Gemma
Reactions:

Post by Gemma »

Oh that's beautiful!Image
I tried twice to start one from store bought with no success..perhaps the fruit was too old or have been sprayed with retardant chemicals
Thanks for sharing, I'll keep trying!
6,500gl Hybrid koi Pond
https://www.swordofshakespeare.com/viewtopic.php?t=104&start=48
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

Gemma wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 5:05 pm Oh that's beautiful!Image
I tried twice to start one from store bought with no success..perhaps the fruit was too old or have been sprayed with retardant chemicals
Thanks for sharing, I'll keep trying!
Sarah shoulda taken some video on her process, don'tcha think? Then maybe we ALL could grow our own pineapple for our pizzas...oh, wait, wasn't supposed to say that, was I?

smirky smirk! (gonna try the NEW smiley here... :smirkysmirk: YAY! it works!!)

:cool:
j.w
Reactions:

Post by j.w »

That pineapple sure looks nice, just like store bought but bet it tastes even better @SarahT but never, never put it on pizza :-P
SarahT
Reactions:

Post by SarahT »

Thanks, all! I'm not a heathen! The pineapple was dessert to the pizza, not part of the pizza. While it looks store bought-like, it is small - fruit about 5 inches, so 2 servings (my brother got to share), and it was sweeter than the original. I'm drying the top to plant to make another pineapple, and the circle of life will continue, and in a couple of years, we'll see what Gen3 tastes like.
@Gemma This was grown from the top of a store bought. Cut the top off, leaving perhaps 1.5" below the top, remove the fruit pulp, but don't damage the core at the bottom of the leaves. Let it dry a few days, then plant it, not too deep, in a well-draining soil mixture in a pot. You can transpant to a bigger pot when it gets bigger. Since it's a bromeliad, water sparingly and it likes a little water periodically in the top leaves, gentle fertilizer every so often. After 14-18 months, put an apple core close to the bottom (some say into the top leaves themselves) which seems to give it a pep talk to start blooming and fruiting.
I'm told that you can grow them in the north, bringing the plant inside in the cool months, and in as much sun as possible.
Gemma
Reactions:

Post by Gemma »

Thank you for taking the time to explain in details...I did it twice following two different youtube videos, one said to root in water (it didn't work for me) and the other like you in dirt but it said to keep it moist at all time (didn't work for me)..so I'm planning on trying a third time keeping it on the drier side and we'll see
@SarahT Thanks again!Image
6,500gl Hybrid koi Pond
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

Gemma wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 11:50 am Thank you for taking the time to explain in details...I did it twice following two different youtube videos, one said to root in water (it didn't work for me) and the other like you in dirt but it said to keep it moist at all time (didn't work for me)..so I'm planning on trying a third time keeping it on the drier side and we'll see
@SarahT Thanks again!Image
I'm pretty sure an important part is the hardening off of the cut area. And yeah, if a bromeliad, they get their water more or less from the air/rain which is held by the 'cup' from the leaves, or there's aerial roots (like orchids). I'm not sure I'd have enough sun during winter to actually have success with this, so will live vicariously through the two of you!

@j.w ; looks like we have our Royal Pineapple girl choir fer yer royal Eatin' Hall, hey? Didn't have to go off the reservation to find help this time, so we got lucky! Now, I'll leave YOU to figure out the outfits...I gots me more halls to swab...

I mean, here's an example, though it looks more like a pumpkin squash...I bet Sarah and Gemma could work it out with pineapples, though, no? heh heh

Hey @Gemma ; you growing any pumpkin squash????

:smirkysmirk: :cheesyGrin: :shock: :-P :cool: :!: :lol: :roll: :cheesyGrin:

Gemma
Reactions:

Post by Gemma »

brokensword wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 6:32 pm
Hey @Gemma ; you growing any pumpkin squash????

:smirkysmirk: :cheesyGrin: :shock: :-P :cool: :!: :lol: :roll: :cheesyGrin:

I'm growing zucchini!.. and then I'm raising a plant that looks like some sort of squash but I'm not sure, I didn't plant it, it just grew on it's own...it's what I call "a universal gift" :cheesyGrin:
6,500gl Hybrid koi Pond
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

Gemma wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 7:29 pm

I didn't plant it, it just grew on it's own...it's what I call "a universal gift" :cheesyGrin:
I suppose MrGemma is gonna try it first, huh?

;)
Gemma
Reactions:

Post by Gemma »

brokensword wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:50 pm
Gemma wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 7:29 pm

I didn't plant it, it just grew on it's own...it's what I call "a universal gift" :cheesyGrin:
I suppose MrGemma is gonna try it first, huh?

;)
I doubt it! He'll eat a vegetable soup with whatever I throw in it, but he's not much for veggies other than carrots and potatoes
6,500gl Hybrid koi Pond