spider lily

WetWork
Reactions:

Re: spider lily

Post by WetWork »

Thanks. The impatiens are just bare root on the edges of the rocks. They do well there every year.
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

WetWork wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 2:30 pm Finally, my spiders lilies are blooming! I knew they were always late, but didn't remember that they were this late. I had given up on them since Brokensword's bloomed so early. Should have had more faith.

And a picture of the impatiens in the waterfall:

Hope these pics are too big.
Holy Crap that's a LOT of spider blooms!!! Gives me something to look forward to one day! How many 'plants' would you say that is? Dayum, am jealous! The only good part for mine is they bloomed again, three I think, but I didn't expect it! And the impatiens look really good on the falls! I put some in my bog this year and am loving the all-summer color now! I think they've tripled in size already!

Btw, how exactly are you placing these? I know you said 'in the pond proper', but am wondering if you're using some sort of floating net pot?
screened 7k pond, bog filter, 40+gf, 41 koi
http://www.swordofshakespeare.com/Sword ... rtal2.html
WetWork
Reactions:

Post by WetWork »

The spider lilies are in a large water lily pot planted in sand. They are just sitting on a shelf in the pond. I have no idea how many there are now. I think I ordered 3 plants and received maybe 5. I put those in a smaller pot and stuck it in the pond. It didn't take long before they needed more space, so the large sized round water lily pot.

I think I got them 3 years ago. They multiply fast. I thought maybe they weren't blooming because they had gotten too crowded. Evidently that wasn't the case, so I'm leaving them alone. I'm sure you will have more than you know what to do with before you know it.

That's great that yours bloomed again. As far as my memory goes, which isn't so reliable these days, mine only bloom once. But they do put on quite a show, so I'll take whatever they can give.

The impatiens are wonderful. They bloom all summer long and keep growing until the cold gets them. I save their seeds each year and start them early indoors for the next year. They are super easy to grow that way.
j.w
Reactions:

Post by j.w »

WetWork wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 11:28 pm The spider lilies are in a large water lily pot planted in sand. They are just sitting on a shelf in the pond. I have no idea how many there are now. I think I ordered 3 plants and received maybe 5. I put those in a smaller pot and stuck it in the pond. It didn't take long before they needed more space, so the large sized round water lily pot.

I think I got them 3 years ago. They multiply fast. I thought maybe they weren't blooming because they had gotten too crowded. Evidently that wasn't the case, so I'm leaving them alone. I'm sure you will have more than you know what to do with before you know it.

That's great that yours bloomed again. As far as my memory goes, which isn't so reliable these days, mine only bloom once. But they do put on quite a show, so I'll take whatever they can give.

The impatiens are wonderful. They bloom all summer long and keep growing until the cold gets them. I save their seeds each year and start them early indoors for the next year. They are super easy to grow that way.
Well that's neat you can save the seeds! Makes it way better on the pocket book! Gotta save and be frugal nowadays as all our money is trying to leave us for some reason I won't mention :roll:
WetWork
Reactions:

Post by WetWork »

I sometimes have trouble finding them here when the time is right to put them out. So I started growing my own. I like doing that anyway and I just add those to the rest of the things I'm starting. Helps to keep me busy and out of most of the trouble I can find around here.
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

WetWork wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 11:28 pm The spider lilies are in a large water lily pot planted in sand. They are just sitting on a shelf in the pond. I have no idea how many there are now. I think I ordered 3 plants and received maybe 5. I put those in a smaller pot and stuck it in the pond. It didn't take long before they needed more space, so the large sized round water lily pot.

do you think the spider lilies would overwinter IN the pond if the ice didn't reach their crowns? I could try this next winter, but they did really nice in the basement last winter. And, how far under the surface are they? I wonder if the koi would bother them...I do have some extra oil pans...
screened 7k pond, bog filter, 40+gf, 41 koi
http://www.swordofshakespeare.com/Sword ... rtal2.html
WetWork
Reactions:

Post by WetWork »

Mine are just below the water level. I don't remember how deeply they are planted but I'm sure I found that info online somewhere.

Looks like they are hardy to zone 7, but we are in 6. They never have ice near them so I can't say how they would do if that is an issue. The air temps in there are at least 10 to 20 degrees warmer than outside, and the water stays above 40. Last year, even with single digit temps outdoors, but briefly, the water didn't drop below 50. It seemed to stay warmer than it ever has before.

It's certainly easier to leave them in the pond, but I imagine you would lose that twice blooming bonus if you did that.

I might be tempted to try a couple if you are willing to risk it. If they don't make it, I would be happy to replace them. I think I could spare a few!