PoconoJoe's bog build

rubyduby
Reactions:

Re: PoconoJoe's bog build

Post by rubyduby »

poconojoe wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 4:41 pm Image
The Parrot's Feather is starting to look good in the return water spillway. I plant that every year. I bought a Parrot's Feather this year that is supposed to be winter hardy, so it should come back next year.
Wow!Beautiful fish, beautiful clear water, beautiful bog...Just Beautiful PJ!!!
900 gallons, 30" deep, BioFalls and skimmer, 25 Shubunkin Goldfish
poconojoe
Reactions:

Post by poconojoe »

rubyduby wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:52 pm
poconojoe wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 4:41 pm Image
The Parrot's Feather is starting to look good in the return water spillway. I plant that every year. I bought a Parrot's Feather this year that is supposed to be winter hardy, so it should come back next year.
Wow!Beautiful fish, beautiful clear water, beautiful bog...Just Beautiful PJ!!!

Thanks for the compliment!
Like I said, the bog was ultimately the best thing I've done for my pond and me. I never had water this clear before adding the bog.

I encourage everyone to do some kind of bog if you want clear water with very little maintenance. It makes having a pond so much more enjoyable not having to constantly clean out filters and filter pads. There are so many options from mini bogs made from window box planters for smaller ponds to big dug-in bogs for larger ponds.
It's not that hard or expensive to do and when it's done, your pond is almost self maintaining.
poconojoe
Reactions:

Post by poconojoe »

j.w wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 4:52 pm
brokensword wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:52 pm
j.w wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:47 pm @poconojoe everything sure looks nice, water is clear, plants are growing and you can be lazy and just watch it all happen now w/that darn nice bog...................that I don't have :-l
...and refuse to entertain...(don't forget THAT part!)

:-P
I just don't see a spot for having one and I'm done digging pond stuff.
Now bugger off kingy boy 8-)

Ha! His nagging continues...... and for good reason!
It's so nice having a bog.

If cleaning out whatever type of filter you are currently running is not too burdensome, then you're fine.

But if you're tired of all that maintenance, it's time for a bog.
If you lack the space, there are options. You could have more than one smaller bogs. You could make window box type bog(s). Your bog can be narrow and long, along the side of the pond. Your bog can be away from the pond and have a pipe from it to the pond. So many choices.

Once you build it, it's done. So, a bit of effort now and you can relax after that.
j.w
Reactions:

Post by j.w »

@poconojoe Not much work now w/the setup I have. Just using a pot edge filter I made using Matala pads and easy to clean and put back. Also have a prefilter hooked to a submersed pump. Have a rope tied to it for easy in and out and then just spray it off w/a strong hose nozzle. So far so good! If I had someone to do a bog for me I would do one but not thinking this will happen. I know a bog is best so no need to convince me on that one. I am going to keep my fish load low now and hope for the best. I did have too many fish and some bigger ones died. Now things have settled down.

Pond water goes in through a hose at the top and back out the bottom hole of the pot into the pond.

I have this pre-filter:

poconojoe
Reactions:

Post by poconojoe »

j.w wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 4:55 pm @poconojoe Not much work now w/the setup I have. Just using a pot edge filter I made using Matala pads and easy to clean and put back. Also have a prefilter hooked to a submersed pump. Have a rope tied to it for easy in and out and then just spray it off w/a strong hose nozzle. So far so good! If I had someone to do a bog for me I would do one but not thinking this will happen. I know a bog is best so no need to convince me on that one. I am going to keep my fish load low now and hope for the best. I did have too many fish and some bigger ones died. Now things have settled down.

Pond water goes in through a hose at the top and back out the bottom hole of the pot into the pond.

I have this pre-filter:

You seem to be doing just fine.
You know what they say.....
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!