good bacterisa

brokensword
me
Reactions:

Re: good bacterisa

Post by brokensword »

Gemma wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:49 am
darkmuse wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:12 pm I always wondered about bacteria in a bottle but thought they could live on almost anything and live. I guess they still need something to consume and eventually, there's nothing left in the bottle for that to happen. Good to know.
My thinking is...don't bacteria need oxygen to stay alive? How can those micro live so long in a sealed bottle, or even better in dry powder form?Image
I mainly remember a discussion with Meyer Jordan re bottled bacteria and he said it had to be a certain kind and guaranteed by the manufacturer to actually BE alive. I'm sure bacteria CAN live in a bottle, but for how long? And since most ponds already HAVE bacteria, can't see paying for it. The real trick is realizing that bacteria need surface area to colonize, so the more you have of that (SSA), the better bacteria can break down ammonia and nitrites.
screened 7k pond, bog filter, 40+gf, 41 koi
http://www.swordofshakespeare.com/Sword ... rtal2.html
poconojoe
Reactions:

Post by poconojoe »

Gemma wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:49 am
darkmuse wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:12 pm I always wondered about bacteria in a bottle but thought they could live on almost anything and live. I guess they still need something to consume and eventually, there's nothing left in the bottle for that to happen. Good to know.
My thinking is...don't bacteria need oxygen to stay alive? How can those micro live so long in a sealed bottle, or even better in dry powder form?Image
That reminds me of what we did in science class way back in grade school.
We had to get some leaves and soak them in water for a little while. Then we took some of the water from that and looked at it under a microscope. We saw all kinds of microorganisms! They seemingly came out of nowhere!
j.w
Reactions:

Post by j.w »

Gosh we never got to do anything like that in grade school. Wish they would have tho, maybe I would have taken an interest in it then. I'm interested now but kinda late and not going back to school at my age! Would be fun tho to have a microscope handy to just see what's in stuff.
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

j.w wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 5:44 pm Gosh we never got to do anything like that in grade school. Wish they would have tho, maybe I would have taken an interest in it then. I'm interested now but kinda late and not going back to school at my age! Would be fun tho to have a microscope handy to just see what's in stuff.
you know @j.w , a microscope is fairly inexpensive; you SHOULD get one and just putter around with it. I had (and still have it) one from when I was in school--not grade school, though, this was high school) and it IS interesting to see what's in water. You could take a sampe of your pond water and inspect it! I think you'd use the type of microscope slide that has a 'well' in it to hold the water, if I remember from way back then!! Easy enough to google/youtube it! Consider this a challenge for the CAstle royalty, hey? We ALL expect to hear your results! I can remember looking at crystals under the microscope--wayyyyyy cool!
scientist_woman_entering_data_500_clr_21738.gif
scientist_woman_entering_data_500_clr_21738.gif (1.83 MiB) Viewed 705 times
j.w
Reactions:

Post by j.w »

@brokensword I just remembered my friend up the road has one and a really nice one I bet cuz she was involved w/Marine Biology!
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

j.w wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 2:43 am @brokensword I just remembered my friend up the road has one and a really nice one I bet cuz she was involved w/Marine Biology!
And? You gonna ask to borrow it for a bit? I bet she could give you interesting subjects to look at, too!
j.w
Reactions:

Post by j.w »

brokensword wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 2:48 am
j.w wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 2:43 am @brokensword I just remembered my friend up the road has one and a really nice one I bet cuz she was involved w/Marine Biology!
And? You gonna ask to borrow it for a bit? I bet she could give you interesting subjects to look at, too!
I'd prolly just drag whatever up there to her place and look at it. She's up for doing all that kind of nature stuff.
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

j.w wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 2:59 am
I'd prolly just drag whatever up there to her place and look at it. She's up for doing all that kind of nature stuff.
awww, ain't you so cute; ya gots a nature buddy all yer royal own! Heh, that'll give me time to change the lock on the chocolate cupboard (again!). How do you keep getting in there????

:roll: :-P :cool: :!:
j.w
Reactions:

Post by j.w »

brokensword wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 3:03 am
j.w wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 2:59 am

awww, ain't you so cute; ya gots a nature buddy all yer royal own! Heh, that'll give me time to change the lock on the chocolate cupboard (again!). How do you keep getting in there????

:roll: :-P :cool: :!:
Haven't you ever heard of a shapeshifter
shapeshifter 2.gif
poconojoe
Reactions:

Post by poconojoe »

brokensword wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 12:44 am
j.w wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 5:44 pm Gosh we never got to do anything like that in grade school. Wish they would have tho, maybe I would have taken an interest in it then. I'm interested now but kinda late and not going back to school at my age! Would be fun tho to have a microscope handy to just see what's in stuff.
you know @j.w , a microscope is fairly inexpensive; you SHOULD get one and just putter around with it. I had (and still have it) one from when I was in school--not grade school, though, this was high school) and it IS interesting to see what's in water. You could take a sampe of your pond water and inspect it! I think you'd use the type of microscope slide that has a 'well' in it to hold the water, if I remember from way back then!! Easy enough to google/youtube it! Consider this a challenge for the CAstle royalty, hey? We ALL expect to hear your results! I can remember looking at crystals under the microscope--wayyyyyy cool!

scientist_woman_entering_data_500_clr_21738.gif

There's all kinds of cool stuff to look at under a microscope. You can see the cells that make up plants or look at a piece of your skin.
I wonder what modern common inexpensive microscopes are like? Are they the same? With a mirror that collects the light? Do they connect to a computer? That would be cool!