Gemma's Pond

Gemma
Reactions:

Re: Gemma's Pond

Post by Gemma »

j.w wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 4:45 pm @Gemma I agree w/@rubyduby that plant is so pretty!

Wish so much it could grow here but guess it would die due to the weather. Heard they need cold winters. I don't understand why ours can't be cold enough?
I mean we get some freezingdog-18.gif
You mean you've never actually tried it for yourself?
Usually I'm the one envy of your warmer climate plants
6,500gl Hybrid koi Pond
https://www.swordofshakespeare.com/viewtopic.php?t=104&start=48
j.w
Reactions:

Post by j.w »

@Gemma It says they grow in zones 3 to 7 and I am zone 8. Colleen in Canada told me they will not grow where I live so I never bothered to try. She said not cold enough winters for long enough and that is true as mostly we are in the 40's and even 50's in winter. Guess we are lucky that it's not so cold so I will sacrifice one plant or two to have warmer weather.
Gemma
Reactions:

Post by Gemma »

Finally the first water lily bloomed.
I have a pink and a yellow lily, I would like to add one more but I don't know what Colori would like a bright one that bloom a lot

6,500gl Hybrid koi Pond
j.w
Reactions:

Post by j.w »

I had a peach one that I got from addy but I don't have them anymore. I gave all my water lilies away as they became too hard for me to drag out and divide.
Here is what it looked like. You could ask her if she still have that kind and she might send you some tubers when she divided hers or you might ask her if she has some bright colored ones.

darkmuse
Reactions:

Post by darkmuse »

j.w wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 11:00 pm I had a peach one that I got from addy but I don't have them anymore. I gave all my water lilies away as they became too hard for me to drag out and divide.
Here is what it looked like. You could ask her if she still have that kind and she might send you some tubers when she divided hers or you might ask her if she has some bright colored ones.

that's a beautiful color lily alright! And you say you got rid of it? Wish I'd been walking past when you pitched it to the curb!

:o :-P
darkmuse
Reactions:

Post by darkmuse »

Gemma wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 7:09 pm Finally the first water lily bloomed.
I have a pink and a yellow lily, I would like to add one more but I don't know what Colori would like a bright one that bloom a lot

is it difficult to get that mesh screen off when you need to? Looks custom-fit! Do the herons come around and try anyway?
Dimelius
Reactions:

Post by Dimelius »

Perry's baby red, got it this year and alrdy made 4-5 flowers in 1 month. Is insane.
rubyduby
Reactions:

Post by rubyduby »

and it's a doozy! Very pretty Gemma:)
900 gallons, 30" deep, BioFalls and skimmer, 25 Shubunkin Goldfish
Gemma
Reactions:

Post by Gemma »

darkmuse wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:27 pm

is it difficult to get that mesh screen off when you need to? Looks custom-fit! Do the herons come around and try anyway?
No removing the mesh panels is very easy, they're small, lightweight and they are just sitting on the extrusion frame. We actually designed the pond around the mesh panels Image
Yes we custom fitted and bolted the frame under the capping stones
The herons fly by but I doubt they have an interest in landing, I think by now they know they can't outsmart the mesh cover and that goes for the raccoons which I have plenty of
6,500gl Hybrid koi Pond
Gemma
Reactions:

Post by Gemma »

@Dimelius Thank you so much I'm definitely looking for that one now..My yellow is not too bright but I kept it cause it opens 4 days instead of 2-3, but I can totally replace it with one that blooms more often

@rubyduby thanks for your compliments

No one wondering why I leave that huge net laying around on the pond wall? Image
6,500gl Hybrid koi Pond
brokensword
me
Reactions:

Post by brokensword »

Gemma wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 5:45 pm @Dimelius Thank you so much I'm definitely looking for that one now..My yellow is not too bright but I kept it cause it opens 4 days instead of 2-3, but I can totally replace it with one that blooms more often

@rubyduby thanks for your compliments

No one wondering why I leave that huge net laying around on the pond wall? Image
I figured it was to lasso mrsGemma any time he gets too nosey re your pond.....

...no?

heh heh

:-P :o :cool:
screened 7k pond, bog filter, 40+gf, 41 koi
http://www.swordofshakespeare.com/Sword ... rtal2.html
j.w
Reactions:

Post by j.w »

@Gemma I just thought you were too lazy to put it away :beaming:
So what's the real reason, we give up?